Monday, August 20, 2007

listen to what your parents say

it has been a stormy week. last friday i was supposed to go home right after work. but my crew on night shift told me the traffic going home was really terrible. so i decided to drop by my officemate's birthday party, which was a few minutes' walk away from the office. i thought, why waste time stuck in traffic for probably 2 hours, when i can have a little fun at the party --- which really is an inuman (people in a table sharing drinks).

food was sumptious (inihaw na liempo, inihaw na tilapia, etc ---- native delicacies which i think are a staple in any inuman). stories shared were really funny. one officemate volunteered to take me home, which i thought was nice. he said we'll go home in a couple of hours. after about an hour or a little more than that, he went missing. i thought he went home already. but i discovered he just had a nap.

the couple of hours stretched to 4 actually. i had a few beers, which was normal. then when it was time to go home, my officemate was there again. he said he would take me home. the others volunteered to convoy with us.

it really was a rainy night. the streets were all wet. but when it was time to go, the rain had stopped already. so there i rode with my officemate. we were just cruising actually. when we were almost near my house, there was this pick-up who sideswept us.

so there i was, enjoying the cool night. and all i could think of was: 'shiyet, i think this is my time!' you see, i was in a motorcycle (without a helmet, at that). i think i saw my world blurred. next thing i remember was my officemate hugging me and asking me if i was alright. and i really couldn't answer him immediately, for i haven't checked. after that, i did. and i thought everything was alright with me. but i checked with him and i saw his leg was bruised and so was one of his hands. good thing the only thing that was hurt during that accident was my bag (which can be easily replaced). one of my officemates ran after the pick-up actually, but he didn't catch up with it.

so we continued on home. when we got there, our house was submerged in water (due to the nonstop rains last week). what else could we do? i invited them over for a cup of our famous kapeng barako. i was so sorry that i allowed them to bring me home. all the time after the incident, i was thinking it would never've happened if i just went home alone and rode the public utility vehicle ----the jeepney. i kept saying sorry to them. but they said they should be the one saying sorry.

imagine we were really in a cruising speed that night, really slow (probably around 30 kph). we all ended up thinking that no matter how careful a driver you are, you can never be sure of your safety in the road.

when i went inside, my mom was still awake. i told her about the incident. and she told me again (for the nth time) not to ride on motorcycles. esp. without a helmet on. i told her, from now on, i won't (learning the hard way, huh). before going to bed, i really thanked the lord (which i seldom do), for keeping me unharmed during that accident.

the day after, my body was really sore, probably from the fall. and i discovered i had a very very minor bruise on my waist. but then again, im thankful that was all i got.

eversince i was of age to go riding on motorcycles, my mom always forbid me to ride one. when i was in college, and she learned i hitched with my friend on his bike, she would scold me. i guess it stems from her cousin who was killed in a motorbike accident (with a bus, i think). i'd always thought she was over reacting. but maybe it was simply maternal. no mom would want their kids harmed really. i'm just really sorry i didn't listen to her. and thankful also that the learning experience didn't result to any major harm (on my part).